Wednesday, May 23, 2012

10 Things That Make Me Happy

One of my goals for the Day Zero Project was to make a list of ten things that, no matter what, make me happy.  I thought that it would be difficult to make this list but its rather easy. Perhaps I should have made it longer?  After thinking for a moment, I found that counter productive, as I reminded myself that it should be quality over quantity and consist of things that are timeless, and not passing fancies.  Without further adieu...the list!

1. God/Prayer/the Spiritual

I love the spiritual world.  Nothing makes me happier than reading about God, delving into sacred texts, and learning about saintly lives of extraordinary people.  Prayer is also the backbone of my day; giving thanks, asking for assistance, and remembering God's presence.  These are part of an eternal happiness that never fades.

2. My Family/ Friends

Second only to prayer and God, my friends and family fill my life with unspeakable joy.  I can call on them at any time and they will brighten my day just by being there.  The time we spend laughing, joking, and even crying is wrapped in a quiet happiness knowing that, through it all, we are always there for one another.

3. Music

Nothing beats a good tune; it can take me at my worst and bring me to my best within a span of about 4 minutes.  My love affair with music began at a very young age and rapidly grew over the years.  I went from Styx and Kiss, to Prince and ACDC, Metallica and Devin Townsend, to Dredg and....well you get the point.  Various devices helped me in my growth: the Walkman, the portable CD player and finally the iPod.  30,000 songs of joy kept in a happy little rectangular shaped device.  There's few things that can compare. 

4. Walking

Walking does wonders for my mood and life.  Aside from being my favorite form of exercise, it just is the best way to unwind, collect my thoughts and rejuvenate my spirit.  I'm blessed to be able to walk, so I see walking not only as a form of happiness, but a gift that I wish to cherish the rest of my days.

5. Sitting Under my Maple Tree

My family's home has a giant yard adjacent to it, and at the front and back there are two very large maple trees.  Like guardians, they stand tall and strong protecting our household.  The one at the back of the yard is, and always has been, my favorite.  Being a very old tree, its trunk is huge and its branches long and open.  Any kid can easily climb it and hide within its limbs;  I did so often as a child.  It was my jungle gym, my hideout, and my comfort during the worst of times.  My happiness for it exists because of its sturdy, ever present, existence.   

6. A fresh cup of coffee

Coffee symbolizes so many things to me: adulthood, card games, days spent at the grandparents' homes, family, school, fall...all of the things that I love.  The nostalgia that surrounds coffee is only part of the happiness factor.  The other part is the taste, the smell, the substance that is coffee.  Cradling a warm mug of Joe in my hands fills me with a soft, tranquil, joy that never seems to fade.  

7. Fall

I LOVE everything about fall...period.

8. Campfires

The smell of a campfire, to be more precise.  Like coffee, it brings back a lot of memories, camping in particular.  My family always went camping during the summer months when I was younger.  We'd spend our time at the Outflow campground, at the Youghigeny Dam right outside of Confluence Pa.  We'd hike to monster island, swim at the dam, catch craw fish and fireflies, and read around the fire.  The smell of a campfire is of family, carefree days, and perpetual childhood.  Eternal happiness hidden within logs and flames.


9. A Good Book

Like music, a good book can bring about instant happiness.  Fiction, nonfiction, poetry, or even an encyclopedia: a good book opens doors to other worlds.  An eternal explorer at heart, I eagerly throw myself into these unknown places and open myself to what they have to offer.  Exploration, mixed with coffee in front of a campfire.  Happiness factor= jubilation.

10. Learning/ Teaching/ Helping People

I live for this: quite literally!  Helping people is what I do; its what I have and always live for.  I see no point in being an inactive participant of this thing called "life" and feel that a portion of it should be spent helping others.  There is also a selfish side of this, as helping people is one of the most satisfying and joyful things I think anyone can do.  Learning and teaching go hand in hand with helping people, as they are the tools that I gather in order to assist and expand the minds of others.  There are few things that can compare to helping someone find an answer that they were seeking, and seeing the joy/relief on their faces because, suddenly, everything makes sense.  Knowing that I was a part of that brings a happiness that words cannot express. 

Stay cool during these hot summer days, lovelies!
MA

No comments:

Post a Comment