Monday, May 28, 2012

Late night contemplations

This past week has been nothing short of maddening.  With my sister's wedding coming up it had been filled with errands, final payments, confirmations, corrections, rehearsal and the actual wedding day.  That was probably the most maddening part for me:  all these things to do with no warning that they had to be done until the eleventh hour.  Brides to be, or that have been, appreciate your maid of honor:  they get to have very little fun at the actual wedding.  Most of them (unless you can afford hired help, which kuddos! The wedding day will be breeze!) will be running about trying to send people home with leftovers, packing up the things that need to be taken back to their respective houses, dishing out cake (and hoping they have enough packing to get whatever is left home) and making sure everyone is out by a certain time.  That was my day yesterday- and the worst part was, I had no idea I had to do all of this!  If I had, I would have had containers, zip-locks, tin foil, ANYTHING to pack up all the leftovers.

Apparently no one came to the wedding hungry because there was a TON to take home.
And I'm on a diet, and the house is full of about 80 dozen cookies and half of a wedding cake.

Fantastic.

In other news, I now have my life back, or at least the free time that I usually have, and I want to fill it with the things that matter:  God, friends and family.  I just spent the evening, in fact, with two of the best friends I could ever ask for.  I'm saddened by the fact that they are moving back home- six or so hours away by car.  They thanked me for wanting to keep up the friendship long distance, and to be honest, in this day and age, I didn't see any reason why not to.  The internet makes friendship so easy to maintain on a lot of levels- email and Skype make communication instantaneous.  Also, if you want to be realistic, we usually got together once a month anyways.  So, getting together once a month now isn't all that different.  What's different is the sense of distance that exists physically between us.  Absence makes the heart grown fonder, as they say, though I would add it makes the heart more mindful and appreciative, as is the case with my two besties.  I miss not having the opportunity to drive a half hour away to see them.  However, now I have a chance to hop on megabus for a fun weekend excursion.  Just what the doctor will order for busy weeks. Besides, being a prof means the work can come with me.  Fabulous.

I think this is the first post that I've written that did not pertain to my Day Zero Project.  I'm so glad about that, I didn't want this to be a mere Day Zero Project blog.  I guess it takes a while to get into the happy, safe, blog writing zone.  Slowly, but surely, its coming along.

Enjoy the morning.
Ma

No comments:

Post a Comment